Tuesday 12 July 2011

Hi I'm Dom

I cannot change the person I am to suit everyone...yet people believe my person is interchangeable;

Accept me for the person you first met;
The person that greeted you with "Hi, how you doing?", accompanied with a firm handshake and a smile
Instead of a "Whats good?" and the 'Im-so-gangsta-I-can't-even-smile-face'

I'm the slim, not skinny (actually quite athletic) built black man
Skin filled with ink; the same black man that wishes you all the best upon his exit

I am not the person you want me to be
I am not the person society tells you I am
I am not the person that will prove the stereotypes truthful
But the person that will prove my worth and purpose

I am worth more than what stands before you; my purpose is to make an impact and I will make a fool out of the doubters

8 comments:

  1. the I am not statements are strong..and from there this poem rips...nicely done.

    did a little mash up poetry with Jay Z at my space tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nachi "the poet" Aguboshim13 July 2011 at 15:41

    very deep peace brother

    ReplyDelete
  3. check me out also brother -

    http://nachithepoetaguboshim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "skin filled with ink" nice!

    this is a good piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me proud to be part of your heritage. You remember the shop with the hobnobs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and strong. It shows you'll stand up for the person you truly are and if you mean what your lines say, nobody can make you feel bad.

    Take care and keep smiling. =)

    ReplyDelete